My opponent and Progress Toronto have recently published materials that misrepresent my voting record and positions on the issues.
Policing & Community Safety
I fully support our police, and they support me.
As a member of the Police Services Board, I am a firm supporter of police accountability and, when necessary, discipline to weed out bad conduct, from the Police chief down to the front-line officer.
· I led the fight for “Opportunities for Bail and Related Reforms” to enhance Community Safety.
· I supported and will make sure that the full funding of the “Toronto Youth Equity Strategy”, along with additional funds to implement the Youth Violence Prevention Plan.
I have led the creation of the new daycare centre that has been built in Mount Dennis. It will be the biggest under the City’s portfolio, with 98 spaces, and will be a net-zero building.
My opponent claims that I've voted against protecting tenants from unfair rent increases...
This is a FALSEHOOD
In December 2019 Cllr. Josh Matlow brought two "grandstanding" motions related to rent control that were soundly defeated by ALL of his peers
See Here >>>>
Affordable housing advocate Mark Richardson says Nunziata is helping bring transit-oriented development into York South—Weston.
“Compared to her peers in other suburban wards, she is one of the more effective in actually getting shovels in the ground on new affordable housing projects,” he says.
THIS is my true position on rent control >>>>
In November 2019 I brought forward a motion to Protect Tenants from Unfair Rent Increases
In fact, I have been renting my home in our community for the past 7 years
Right here >>>>
MY OPPONENT WILL HAPPILY SUPPORT INCREASING YOUR PROPERTY TAXES AS A FIRST MEASURE
The City has two different budgets
The operational budget covers day-to-day spendingon commonly used programs such as parks and maintenance, garbage collection, public transit, the Toronto Police Services, and,
The capital budget supports the construction and repair of infrastructure, such as underground infrastructure, sch as water and sewage facilities, and libraries, community centres, subways, LRTs, etc.
· I believe there is much spending waste due to inefficiencies and duplication that need to be rectified before considering property tax hikes
· As a last resort, I would support tax increases that are below the rate of inflation.
MY OPPONENT HAS PUBLICLY STATED HER PRIDE IN CLOSING THE DOOR TO DEVELOPERS IN OUR WARD... THIS WOULD DISASTROUS FOR OUR COMMUNITY
What I have done:
Inclusionary zoning (IZ)= affordable housing. IZ is one of the planning tools that help to maintain the diversity and affordability of the housing stock so that everyone feels that they belong in our community. I am glad that the Mount Dennis area will continue to be a diverse community in terms of income level, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, and family types.
· 2346 Weston Road - I have championed the development of hundreds of new rental Affordable housing units for Seniors.
· I supported a five-point plan to build more housing, faster. The plan focuses on permitting “missing middle” housing in neighbourhoods, making it easier to build homes, enabling more co-op, supportive and affordable housing, and encouraging the construction of purpose-built rental housing.
· LEF (Learning Enrichment Foundation) at 1240, 1246, and 1250 Weston Rd - affordable residences for seniors and families that will have access to much-needed housing through the City of Toronto “Open Door Program”
· 2700 Eglinton West -I lead the fight and support “Housing Now” - affordable housing to be built on City-owned lands. The development includes mixed-income housing next to the Eglinton LRT.
1. Hundreds of millions of dollars have been invested on New underground infrastructure (sewage and storm systems) throughout our Ward.
2. Worked closely with the TRCA and the City of Toronto on the Rocliffe-Smyth Riverine Flooding Mitigation study to reduce the risk of flooding in the community, the preferred alternative has been chosen by the community through public consultation. I would like to thank those of you who have been part of the process. I have secured 29 million in funding from the Federal Government, and am working with the other two levels of government to secure the required $371 million in funding to implement the multi-phase project.
3. Supported the full funding of TransformTO, the City of Toronto’s Climate Action Plan
4. Fought at City Council to approve a recurring no-fault grant program for basement flooding damages for $7,500 per property, available to eligible properties within the Rockcliffe Special Policy Area.
5. Buildings – I support the new TGS (Toronto Green Standards) that have been in effect since May 2022 -meaning new buildings and houses must comply with environmentally friendly materials.
6. I supported a strategy to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in Toronto to net zero by 2040. Toronto Council has set targets along the way for a 45% reduction in GHG levels by 2025, and a 65% reduction by 2030. Toronto is one of only three big cities in North America with a 2040 target
· I am committed to protecting and implementing the $28-billion transit plan approved by City Council that will deliver critical projects in Scarborough, Etobicoke, and our Ward.
· I prioritize moving forward with the Eglinton West underground project extension. My motion was approved by City Council and I will continue pushing Metrolinx to implement it.
· And I am committed to ensuring the TTC is affordable. That’s why I supported and pushed for the first-ever discount for low-income residents, kids under 12 ride free program and free two-hour transfers.
· I have championed – new modes of transportation, such as walkability, cycling, and public transit.
· I have led the fight for Electric public transit vehicles and electrification of GO Transit rails -I have played a key role on the approvals..
· Bike share has been expanded into York South Weston
· Speed limits have been reduced to 30 km on side streets
· I have pushed for the introduction of Vision Zero in our Ward -an initiative tht address safety measures.
Campaign to Re-Elect Frances Nunziata
Copyright © 2022 Campaign to Re-Elect Re-Elect Frances Nunziata - All Rights Reserved.